Resources by Subject
Here are books and other resources that are recommended by the elders of Austin Bluffs, categorized under various subjects. Please note that we cannot always agree 100% with what has been written and linked to here, and we will have varying levels of agreement between the various documents on the same website or by the same author. Nevertheless, we find these resources to be very helpful. Please compare what you read to Scripture, exercising discernment.
Some links will open in another window, while some will download a file requiring Adobe Reader to view.
Biblia.com is provided by Logos Bible Software, and it is an easy way to study the Bible online. Many Bibles are provided, and if you own a Logos 4 package, you can access your books here. A great resource that is still being developed.
An Approach to Extended Scripture Memorization by Andrew Davis. (will download a .pdf file).
ESV Bible Online This is an online version of the English Standard Version of the Bible. Here you can follow a Bible reading plan, highlight text, and make notes. A very useful (and free) tool.
Bible Reading Plans: Crossway This is a collection of Bible reading plans, provided by Crossway, the publisher of the English Standard Version of the Bible. We encourage everyone to find a plan that works for you and systematically read through God’s Word.
Bible Reading Plans: Discipleship Journal This is a collection of Bible reading plans, provided by Discipleship Journal.
Dr. Tom Constable’s Expository Bible Study Notes These Bible Study Notes, written by Dr. Thomas L. Constable over a 25-year period, provide commentary on all 66 books of the Bible, and hold about 7,000 pages of material. Dr. Constable’s Notes, also known as expository notes to Dr. Constable’s seminary students, are intended to help you to better understand the Bible.
Best Commentaries.com This site seeks to provide discerning reviews of Bible commentaries and other references; a helpful resource.
Please note: If you don’t have a Bible, or you would like to read the one you have but don’t know where to start, please give us a call at 596-3333 or stop by the church office at 3435 Maizeland Rd. We have free Bibles available, and it would be our privilege to help you get started in reading God’s Word.
|ESV Study Bible (find it on Amazon.com)||MacArthur Study Bible (find it on Amazon.com)|
- CCEF Since 1968, the Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation has set the pace in biblical counseling. We teach people how to explore the wisdom and depth of the Bible and apply its grace-centered message to the problems of daily living. Simply put our mission is to: Restore Christ to Counseling and Counseling to the Church.This link will take you to the Christian Counseling and Education Foundation’s directory of articles, arranged by topic. A very helpful resource.
Overcoming Sin and Temptation, by John Owen
All of Life Is Repentance, by Tim Keller
Crises of Faith Are Yardsticks for Growth, by J.I. Packer
Website of the Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation
Website of the National Association of Nouthetic Counselors
Following are Pastor Lance’s sermons on peacemaking from the summer of 2010:
The Four G’s of Conflict, by Peacemaker Ministries.
The Seven A’s of Confession, by Peacemaker Ministries.
The Four Promises of Forgiveness, by Peacemaker Ministries.
- CBS This link will take you to the articles page of the Center for Biblical Spirituality, the ministry of Don Whitney. Don is a professor at Southern Seminary and a former ABEFC Men’s Retreat Speaker.
Clicking on the image to the left will take you to the Amazon.com page for “Disciplines of a Godly Man”, by Kent Hughes. This book explores the foundational disciplines for a man’s victory over sin and effectiveness in the kingdom. You might also consider “Disciplines of a Godly Family”, by Kent and his wife Barbara.
This is a link to Amazon.com for “Spiritual Disciplines of the Christian Life” by Don Whitney. Mr. Whitney is a professor at Southern Seminary and a former ABEFC Men’s Retreat speaker. A very readable and accessible book.
- Good? Good enough to go to heaven? Take this test to find out!
- 2W2L This is a Gospel presentation called “Two Ways to Live”, provided by Matthias Media. This is a great resource for communicating the Gospel in any situation.
- Kids This is a Gospel presentation for kids, called “Two Ways to Live”, provided by Matthias Media. This is a great resource for communicating the Gospel to children.
Marriage as God Intended | Pastor Lance Gentry | Sermon on Malachi 2:10-16
A Marriage of Love and Respect | Pastor Lance Gentry | Sermon on Eph. 5:33
- CBMW This link will take you to the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood’s directory of articles on the topic of Marriage.
- CCEF This link will take you to the Christian Counseling and Education Foundation’s directory of articles, with the keywords “Marriage and Divorce”.
A Prayer for Any Occasion | Pastor Rob Zietlow | Sermon from Ephesians 1:15
A Prayer for the Tempted | Pastor Rob Zietlow | Sermon from Psalm 141
The Panoply and Prayer | Pastor Lance Gentry | Sermon from Ephesians 6:18-24
Other Sermons and Resources on Prayer:
The Necessity of Prayer | An online version of the classic book by E.M. Bounds
Power Through Prayer | An online version of the classic book by E.M. Bounds
Puritan Prayers | Selections from Arthur Bennett’s book of Puritan prayers called “Valley of Vision”
Take a Prayer Walk | by Don Whitney
Bearing Up the Weak in Prayer | John MacArthur | Sermon on James 5:13-18
- 9Marks This link will take you to an article by Thabiti Anyabwile on making the most of the preaching that one hears each week.
- 9Marks This link will take you to an article by Thabiti Anyabwile on expositional listening, the practice of focusing one’s approach to the Sunday sermon on getting the meaning of Scripture and applying to one’s life.
- Worship This link will take you to a series of sermon transcripts and audio by John MacArthur on the subject of worship, hosted by Monergism.com.
Institutes of the Christian Religion, by John Calvin
Body of Practical Divinity, by Thomas Watson
Christian Faith in the Modern World, by J. Gresham Machen
http://www.gty.org/ – a comprehensive collection of Dr. John MacArthur’s sermons in both audio and manuscript form.
http://www.ccef.org/ – Since 1968, the Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation has set the pace in biblical counseling. We teach people how to explore the wisdom and depth of the Bible and apply its grace-centered message to the problems of daily living. Simply put our mission is to: Restore Christ to Counseling and Counseling to the Church.
http://www.ligonier.org/ – features the teaching ministry of Reformed theologian Dr. R. C. Sproul